Marriage Mondays | Dating Your Spouse & Fighting for Getaways | lindsaydavenportphotography.com/blog

Marriage Mondays | Dating Your Spouse & Fighting for Getaways

April 10, 2017

Happy Monday friends! I’m more than excited to share our first guest post!

Last week I shared about this new series we’re launching called Marriage Mondays, which you can catch up on my heart behind it here. Insert happy dance, because our first guest blogger Hannah from The Cake by Hannah is opening up about her first few years of marriage and how continually dating her husband by guarding their weekly date nights and budgeting for weekend getaways or staycations is worth it. Hannah is the talented, passionate writer behind her blog and the founder of The Cake Shop. I have loved getting to know her through Circle Seven Five Events, her fun, authentic Insta Story and her heart through her blog. She’s all things cute, genuine and fashionable as she shares about faith, fashion and spreading kindness like buttercream frosting. I’m honored that she was our first guest blogger, and I can say that Jordan and I are definitely encouraged by the intentionality that she and her husband Paul have. I’d say that in today’s world, sometimes putting boundaries around quality time with your spouse can be misunderstood or devalued, but the fact that her friends and family know and ask about this is absolutely amazing!

Thanks for opening up your heart Han!

cottonwood road photography

cottonwood road photography

My husband and I have been married for 3 years now. Every single year has been better than the last, and this season we are currently in is our favorite we’ve ever been in. (Insert cheers here!) We just have kind of ‘hit our groove’, if you will. We have had to learn a lot over the last three years under the same roof to get to where we are now; like, how and when to approach conflict, battles to choose and which ones to drop, that Paul is always going to put his shoes in the middle of the bathroom and I am always going to need to be overly organized and planned, and, most importantly, how to prioritize our time with one another over all the other blaring noises in our life. It hasn’t been an easy journey by any means. To be honest, our first year of marriage I have all but completely blocked out of my memory forever. Okay, okay- not really. But it was really hard! God has a sense of humor, because our first place together was a loft- no doors but the one to the bathroom. We fought so much our first year, and there was no escaping each other. I found myself crying in an empty bathtub quite a few times just because it was the only place I could be frustrated without Paul sitting next to me! Guys, those were funny days and times, and I really am grateful for them! See, our first year was a year of hustle, bustle, running from here to there, working 9-5 and then being somewhere else 5-9, oh and… have time for each other… more like lack there of. There were nights I literally lied awake thinking, “What the heck did I get myself into?” It can all too easily happen, we get so caught up in life that we forget to pour into the most important piece of the puzzle. Then, one day we wake up and have no idea how we got where we are, but none the less, here we are: tired, ragged, distant, frustrated, and clueless where to start trying to pick up the pieces.

This was where we found ourselves at year two of marriage, and it’s when we made some massive changes in our lives. How lucky to see so early on in our marriage that we couldn’t live like this forever. Something had to give! You guys, whether you have been married 5 days, 5 years, or 5 decades, prioritizing one on one time with your spouse is the most beneficial and sweet thing you can do for your marriage. It will look different for every single couple, but figure out what works for you. Fridays are Paul’s and my day, and we are very selfish with it. I think we have passed off our Friday no more than 8-10 times MAX over the last two years. We can literally be sitting on the sofa watching a movie together and eating homemade pizza for date night, or we are at some extravagant new restaurant we’ve been wanting to try, but bottom line is that Fridays are ours, and nobody can change that. When the budget is tight, we just go grab happy hour at a local restaurant and grab ice cream on the square. I love those date nights just as much! We let our family and friends know about Friday date nights, too. We talk about it a lot, and protect it. I love when people see me on Thursday and ask what Paul and I are doing for date night. It’s truly part of our week, and it changed the game. It’s amazing what a date night does for your marriage. Taking that even further, we have started doing vacation/staycations every 6 months to seriously unplug, and our goal is to do some kind of getaway every quarter. Our jobs require us to be “on” what feels like all hours of the day. We are constantly thinking, shepherding, and meeting people’s needs, and it’s absolutely our passion. So, that means also that we have to fight to turn off work and unplug periodically. When you’re in the business of people like we are (pastor and pastor’s wife/worship leader/blogger), you have to be intentional about turning. it. off. If your response to me saying ‘take a vacation’ was just, “Yeah right, we on that budget life.” SO ARE WE. We budget every dime we have, and if we overspend one of those dimes, something else is taking the hit. But, we value saving and prioritizing dates and getaways.

Our favorite place to do a staycation is Four Seasons Dallas. We have been twice now, and it’s the best. We sit on our balcony, play board games, reconnect, and talk about what things we want to accomplish in the coming months. We intentionally turn off our phones and try new things together. These are the same types of questions and things we do on any Friday date night, but there is something so much deeper about a getaway. If you haven’t tried Air Bnb y’all, you are seriously missing the boat on this one. Don’t let money be an excuse to not getaway with your spouse. Four Seasons is a pretty hefty bill, but an Air Bnb can be as little as $300 for a whole weekend getaway together. Bring your own food to cook, go explore a city you don’t know, read together, play games, walk the local state parks… the options are endless. Find somewhere just a couple hours away that you can easily drive to.

No matter what, we’ve all heard this but it’s so true, don’t stop dating your spouse. When things get hard, when things get busy, when babies come, or when you have had that same fight for the fifth time this week (eherm, we’ve totally been there)- intentionality with your best friend is the only way to maintain that tight friendship. Fight for productive and intentional time together. Literally just last night, half way through our dinner, I said, “I hate that we are sitting on the sofa again for dinner with the tv on.” So we turned off the tv and went to the kitchen island and ate like we should. We had great conversation just by intentionally choosing to stop the mundane and ragged routine of tired we can easily fall into.

Have those date nights and try a fun staycation or little getaway. We used to say to ourselves “we are waiting for the right time to travel and explore”, but like so many things in life, is there ever really a good time? Save money now, and prioritize the things want to do and value most now! The foundation you’re building in your marriage now are the habits you will have for a long time, and are what will dictate the direction of your future family’s habits. If date night is a priority now, that won’t change when kids come along. Your kids will know and celebrate Fridays (or whatever day is it is for you!) and honor it. Same with getaways. Start now, and it will be a habit deeply rooted in the core of who you are as a couple. Sure, money will be up and down and unpredictable, but fighting for it and intentionally saving for things like that is worth it. It’s sacrifice but it’s also a game changer for how you connect with your spouse.

Love you guys! Thanks for reading just a little bitty piece of my heart. Thankful for you.

xoxo- Han

Cottonwood road photography

Cottonwood road photography

1. sarah.larkin@mac.com says:

I love this post!! Great reminder and excellently put. I love the part about building the foundation now, before kids! So true.

• ldungan@nmsu.edu says:

I agree Sarah!! Hannah had such good points, and I love the foundation part before kids too. We’re trying to keep that going as much as we can since little Luke came!

2. sarah.larkin@mac.com says:

• ldungan@nmsu.edu says:

3. sarah.larkin@mac.com says:

• ldungan@nmsu.edu says:

4. sarah.larkin@mac.com says:

• ldungan@nmsu.edu says:

5. sarah.larkin@mac.com says:

• ldungan@nmsu.edu says:

6. sarah.larkin@mac.com says:

• ldungan@nmsu.edu says:

7. sarah.larkin@mac.com says:

• ldungan@nmsu.edu says:

8. vumitifax@honor-8.com says:

I know how hard it is to get a genuine hacker because I myself have been duped by fake hackers. I told my company IT guy I needed the services of a hacker to help me hack my husband’s phone and social accounts and the IT guy recommended cyberdoctor.hack@hotmail.com. He told me the hacker does varieties of hacks like facebook, instagram, email, websites, clears criminal records, school grades bank and credit card. I contacted him and he did the job at a very affordable price and a fast time frame. He successfully hacked my husband’s phone and not only that, he went as far to help me with clearing my bank debt and funding my account.Writing this review is the least I can do. I’m so grateful to him. Never knew good people like this still exist. I call him my angel lol. Contact cyberdoctor.hack@hotmail.com and he will complete your hacking jobs.

9. vumitifax@honor-8.com says:

10. vumitifax@honor-8.com says:

11. vumitifax@honor-8.com says:

12. vumitifax@honor-8.com says:

13. vumitifax@honor-8.com says:

14. vumitifax@honor-8.com says:

• ELLA JENNY MADDISON says:

HERE is how to secretly hack and spy a cheating partner texts messages and whatsapp chats, Do you suspect your husband /girlfriend of having extra marital affairs or cheating on you? or Do you need Relaible’ HACKER’ to spy on a phone REMOTELY? ..well most times your heart only needs more time/proofs to accept what your intuition/Gut feeling already suspect , My co-worker introduce me to a GENIUS HACKER And Spyware link Directory Programmer his direct contacts for text or whatsapp is +,.1 762 499 2170.. his Email is [INVISIBLEHACKINGLOOPS AT GMAIL DOT COM]. Though at first i was a bit skeptical, because is my first time , but he actually proved himself to be an honest phone Tech ‘ve ever met, He accessed my cheating husband Cell phone remotely with the Target phone number and few info only,with his software, and i was able to spy on all his text messages [both recent and deleted] whatsapp chats, [new/delpleted]facebook messanger etc , retrieving emails messages and instagram passwords ,jail break icloud information and all other social media apps on the Target phone, you can as well Track Target phone live location at anytime even deleted messages of past months will still be available to spy on the spyapp dashboard, to be honest i was surprise with the Magic of His Spyware link and software and i’m so glad i found out everything going on that i’m unaware of, So i’m dropping my testimony and his contacts here for anyone who needs any Hacking services contact him And tell him Ella reffered you!!!….

15. Brittany Wesbrock says:

I went for a holiday in poland and was on a train that very day when i came across these two ladies who talked how a hacker helped one of them get into their spouse’s phone , mail , and other social media account without him noticing that anything like that happened and i have been in search of such person to get this job done , I had to confront them since the way sounded it seemed too real to believe but i decided to give it a try and this time I promised myself that this was going to be the last time I’d contact anyone for any type of services to be rendered .. and to my greatest surprise when I contacted VIRTUALHACKNET@ GMAIL DOT COM , who happened to be my savior… he perfectly did the job without hesitation or giving all sort of excuses , I was able to monitor my boyfriend’s activities online Remotely .. I’m grateful and would always work with him .. he’s the best at what he does .. I recommend him to you guys for any type of services , trust me you’d never regret your action .

16. Josephine Elkantara says:

My credit score in 3 bureaus was really running Low and I needed to fix it as soon as possible in order avoid many things , I then decided to work with a credit specialist who redirected me to “VIRTUALHACKNET” a trusted credit repair specialist with years of experience , you could tell that he’s an expert by how he handles the job given to him well and leaves no trace behind after … VIRTUALHACKNET @ GMAIL DOT COM , That’s his email right there ..

17. Sarah Dobson says:

Me and my husband has been in search of a hacker to help with hacking into our daughter’s phone who was studying in Australia in order to monitor her moves and whereabouts because she’s just 19 at that time and VIRTUALHACKNET@GMAIL.COM was able to pull it off for us and we got to find out how she was partying on a regular and sometimes even skipped classes and stayed over at her boyfriend’s , I’m grateful to these incredible hacking crews who pulled this off because without them we would not know what was going on .

18. Georgina Wilson says:

Though me and my boyfriend are in a open relationship , I still went ahead and hired a hacker to hack his phone so I could see who he texts , calls and where he has been without him knowing , a friend of mine gave me a contact of a good hacker she worked with just of recent VIRTUALHACKNET@GMAIL.COM , he’s really good though later on I started feeling some type of way about what i did to my boyfriend and on another thought maybe I was insecure and want him all to myself .. LOL , thanks to virtual hack , I really enjoyed working wiith you guys .

19. Pamela Jose says:

SERIOUS MINDED PEOPLE SHOULD CONTACT.

I was in bit of some really embarrassing cyber issues which led me to meeting some scammers as well but my will to solve my issue eventually paid off when i met 🅷🅰🅲🅺🅴🆁4🆆🅸🆂🅴, his work rate, professionalism and discretion is top-class. Hit him up through Email: “🆂🆄🅿🅿🅾🆁🆃@🅷🅰🅲🅺🅴🆁4🆆🅸🆂🅴.🅲🅾🅼” WhatsApp: +1 (305) 902‑6599. he’s kind of picky though so make mention of the reference. Tell him someone referred you so he can attend to you fast…

20. robert hanry says:

I had access to 6 different phones belonging to my workers who were planning to steal over $120,000 from my company. I read all their conversations, all thanks to this professional hacker by the name Hackadviser. The best way to thank him is with this post. So if you need a good hacker you can reach him via Hackadviserpro @ gmail com, He has many other services he offers like -website hack -credit repair and score boost -all social media accounts hack -erasing criminal records permanently -GPS tracking -university database hack and grades change -recovering of funds lost to. online brokers and so many others. I wrote out the little I remember.

21. Ella Madison says:

22. Laura Walker says:

Been stalking my husband remotely for over 6 months now without him even noticing what is going on and not knowing I know about all his dirty talks with other young girls out there , buying them gist items and keeping them in a hotel rooms while he sometimes comes back home Late then Lies when you ask of his whereabouts , I made contact with one of his side chicks who was 24 and gave her a serious warning and embarrassment of her Life .. I was able to get the informations I needed with the help of VIRTUALHACKNET AT GMAIL DOT COM , The best when it comes to this , he saved my marriage and I’m grateful .

23. Osman Curtis says:

Everything is working for my good after I made contact with Dr Amber the spell caster that prepared a spell for me which made me a Lottery winner of 7 million dollars and he can help you too. Email: amberlottotemple @yahoo . com

24. Osman Curtis says:

Believe it or not Dr Amber has come to stay to do wonders with his spells. I overheard my co-worker telling his cousin how Dr Amber helped him get back his partner within 24 hours . I was amazed about what he said. I searched for this man called Dr Amber online and guess what… He had so many good reviews online about his work. I got in contact with him to win the lottery and he assured me that winning the lottery is not a problem but what do I intend doing with the winnings. I told him what I will do when I become a winner. Dr Amber prepared a spell and prayed for me for 3 days before he told me where to play the Lottery. I did as he instructed me with a positive mindset. To my greatest shock, I was announced the winner of $1,000 dollars everyday for life which is equivalent to a cash prize of $7,000,000 million dollars.. I have no words to thank Dr Amber but to share your good works to everyone that needs help. Visit: amberlottotemple.com or Email: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

25. Elizabeth Lewis says:

Now I’ve got unlimited access to my husbands iPhone and PC and also have his activities in check.
    Thanks
    to them for their assistance it really meant a lot to me to access my
    husband’s cell phone,WhatsApp calls,Telegram,Wechat and Viber without his
    knowledge with just his cell phone number. I’m grateful to aceteamhackers at gmail dot com
    Good work always speak for itself, you should contact them.

Comments